Wednesday 1 August 2012

Character Research

Flash games are one of the most popular methods of casual gaming these days. With so many styles of game play I decided early on to decide not what my character would look like but what my character would DO. This can be loosely broken down into game styles i.e. platformers, shooters etc. Does he jump around, is it birds-eye-view?
In deciding this it makes it easier to create the character because then you can start working on the aesthetics of the character based on the parameters of the game style. For instance you would never need a six sided model of a platform character simply because there are sides of the character that would never appear.

For my character I wanted to create a platform game character, so straight away I know that when creating and drawing my character I need to draw him on a side on 2D angle.

For some examples of platform characters:


Of course everyone from my generation should remember Crash Bandicoot. Although released as a 3D platform game Crash was initially a 2D game character.


Super Mario - possible the most recognizable platform game ever.

Metal Slug, a very popular platform shooter, in fact this games platform style flows seamlessly into an adventure game as the background scene for the levels literally became the platforms as opposed to the generic block platforms seen in Super Mario.

So after a few examples of platform games I decided to start drawing my characters as 2D side on characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment