Monday 18 March 2013

Project 1 a - Character Creation

For early concepts for my character I always wanted to do an earthy organic kind of creature, something that is a part of the environment it lives in, I thought this would tie in nicely with the theme of evolutionary development in character creation.

My concept for my character started off as a kind of small lizard that lived around rocks or in caves, then it was a turtle with a shell made of stone and rock covered in moss and mushrooms. I settled on a cave/rock turtle for my concept. I wanted him to be covered in grass and mushrooms and moss and dead logs and all those things that one would find out in the wilderness.

The characteristics of my creature are self evident in its appearance, it is a slow moving, lethargic, old boulder. Moving so slowly that mushrooms can grow on it! 

But for project part 1 I didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to with the character, in fact for the most part the character is more about its texturing and skinning then it is about its shape of polygon complexity. However, I'm still happy with my start and will definitely take this character further. 

Below is an assembly of images over the course of the character conception to low-poly model with basic texturing:






This image was a quick colour model of what I kind of wanted him to look like in the future:


And finally bringing it into Maya:










No comments:

Post a Comment